How to Choose an Oral Surgeon
Dentists handle overall dental health, but when problems arise, that they can’t feasibly take care of in their own office, they will recommend that you see an oral surgeon to take care of the problem. The problem is that they may not point you right to the best oral and maxillofacial surgeon for your needs. This may raise some questions for you, especially if you’ve never had to deal with this type of surgeon before. Here a few questions often asked by those wanting to know how to choose an oral surgeon when they need one.
What exactly is an Oral Surgeon?
An oral surgeon is someone who specializes in performing surgery for dental related problems. When a dentist cannot perform a procedure during an office visit, due to complications or other special considerations, they will often recommend oral surgery for the client, but part of knowing how to choose an oral surgeon is knowing what to look for. The oral surgeon will perform the surgeries needed in a hospital environment where every part of the procedure is regulated. The dental needs that oral surgeons often perform include:
- Impacted tooth removal – An impacted tooth needs special care during removal to prevent further complications. Without special care taken, damage can occur in the jaw, gum tissues, and could cause a serious infection.
- Accidental tooth loss or facial injuries – When an injury or accident occurs, an oral surgeon will assess the damage and rectify the situation with a dental implant or whatever oral procedure the injured person needs.
- Jaw issues – Sometimes abnormalities in the jaw can cause problems for a patient. Dentures may not fit properly due to the jaw not being aligned. An oral surgeon can also perform surgical procedures to alleviate symptoms of certain jaw disorders.
Why Should You Choose the Right Oral Surgeon for Your Needs?
Finding the bet oral and maxillofacial surgeon for your individual needs can seem like a daunting task. It might be tempting to just choose any one that pops out at you in the phone book or during an online search in your area. However, they may not be the right fit for what you need. Choosing the wrong oral surgeon could put you at risk and cause more problems for you in the future. The overall process may not be a positive one for you, making you hesitant to seek another oral surgeon in the future when something else occurs.
It’s important that the one you choose not only takes care of your oral problems with the best care possible but also keeps you informed of exactly what will happen at every step of the procedure. You are just as important as the problem that brought you to the surgeon in the first place, so taking care of your anxieties related to oral surgery should be priority when visiting the oral surgeon for your consultation.
What Should You Look for When Choosing the Best Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon?
Besides having the proper credentials to perform surgery, there are a few other characteristics an oral surgeon should have if you’re going to trust them to handle your oral problems. Here are some tips for how to choose the best oral and maxillofacial surgeon for your needs:
- Bedside manners – No matter what the reason is for your oral issues, the surgeon needs to be understanding and caring about your situation. It’s tough enough dealing with dental issues, adding a surgical procedure to that mix raises anyone’s anxiety levels. An oral surgeon that will explain everything that will take place in a calm and understanding manner will help alleviate any fears you may have.
- Knowledge of each procedure they perform – You want to know the surgeon you choose can handle anything that comes their way. If in the off-chance that something difficult arises during the procedure, the oral surgeon should know exactly how to handle it.
- Open to various sedation options – There is more than one way to sedate someone during a procedure. Your oral surgeon should be open to your wishes of how you want to handle that part. If for some reason your choice can’t be done, they should explain to you exactly why and explain the other options that may work best for you.
If you’re wondering how to choose an oral surgeon, use these tips and check us out at Peak OMS. We specialize in oral surgery and can handle any problem you may have. Feel free to contact us for any questions, concerns or even fears you might have about our surgery process. We’ll be glad to walk you through it.
Comments are closed.